Home automation or smart home also known as domotics is building automation for the home. It involves the control and automation of lighting, heating (such as smart thermostats), ventilation, air conditioning and security,a s well as home appliances.
The word “domotics” is a contraction of the Latin word for a home “domus” and the words informatics, telematics and robotics.
The integration of technology and services for a better quality of life.
There are 3 generations of home automation/ domotics
- First generation: wireless technology with proxy server
- Second generation: artificial intelligence controls electrical devices
- Third generation: robot buddy who interacts with humans
From the point of view of where the intelligence of the domotic system resides, there are three different architectures:
Centralized Architecture: a centralized controller receives information of multiple sensors and, once processed, generates the opportune orders for the actuators.
Distributed Architecture: all the intelligence of the system is distributed by all the modules that are sensors or actuators. Usually it is typical of the systems of wiring in bus.
Mixed Architecture: systems with decentralized architecture as far as which they have several small devices able to acquire and to process the information of multiple sensors and to transmit them to the rest of devices distributed by the house.
- Heating, ventilation and air conditioning : it is possible to have remote control of all home energy monitors over the internet incorporating a simple and friendly user interface.
- Lighting control system
- Occupancy-aware control system: it is possible to sense the occupancy of the home using smart meters and environmental sensors like CO2 sensors, which can be integrated into the building automation system to trigger automatic responses for energy efficiency and building comfort applications.
- Appliance control and integration system with the smart grid and a smart meter, taking advantage, for instance, of high solar panel output in the middle of the day to run washing machines.
- Security system : a household security system integrated with a home automation system can provide additional services such as remote surveillance of security cameras over the Internet, or central locking of all perimeter doors and windows.
- Leak detection, smoke and CO detectors ALSO READ : Fire protection and Detection systems
- Indoor positioning systems
- Home automation for the elderly and disabled
The interconnection is either wireless (WiFi and Infra red) or by wire, however home automation does not guarantee 100% security it is vulnerable to hacking.
Watch the video of a home automated house